Re: Player edit.

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 04/23/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, George wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, John Evans wrote:
>
> >Now THAT would be an interesting idea that I just might work on. Make an
> >OLC of sort for player data and get rid of that damn 'set' command.
>
> Anyone want to write 'player edit' for OasisOLC?  You can use 'medit' as a
> template for most of the things.  It doesn't actually have to write the
> files to disk, it can have stub routines for when Sammy finishes.

I'm starting to put some thought into pcedit, and have come to a major
mental stumbling block. If based on OasisOLC idea, when the PC gets
edited, a duplicate of them gets made, that duplicate gets altered, and
when the editing is done, the original is silently free'd and
"overwritten" by the new one. That isn't that hard to do or understand.

The problem that I am having is that this editor will have to be limited
to editing the playerfile and preventing anyone that is being edited from
logging in. Here are the reasons:

* What if the player dies?
* What if the player levels?
* What if the player performs an action that alters stats?
* What if the player leaves the game while being edited?

Basically, the problem is this:
With 'set' the alteration is immediate. No delays at all.
With a menu system:
1) Copy of player is made.
2) Copy is altered in drastic way.
3) Original is altered in drastic way that doesn't match what occurs in
   the editor.
4) Editing is done and overwrites the original with the copy.
5) The poor player gets really, really confused as to what happened to
their stats.

There are two fixes:
* Edit only the playerfile and lock the person from being able to log in
  until the editing is done.
* Somehow lock the PC while they are being edited. Perhaps suck them into
  room #1 (or whatever you use for void) and "freeze" them so that nothing
  will happen with their stats while they are being edited.

If someone can find some flaws in my thinking, PLEASE let me know. If
someone can find some other "fixes" to this quandry let me know as well.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

--Arthur C. Clarke