Re: OBcircle slaying

From: Angus Mezick (angus@EDGIL.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE.COM)
Date: 04/27/98

I am trying to avoid ITEM_OGRE_SLAYING because i have > 32 mob races.  I am
having them come in as applies.  Kinda like APPLY_DAMAGE. (option F in Oasis
OLC).  Then add a special menu to the OLC to list the races.  The part that
worries me is how to quickly check this.  There is going to be a % chance to
slay, but very few weapons should be slaying (I am just going to have the weapon
do 4x damage, not really slay (slay is WAY too powerful)).  My problem is that
there is a MAX of 6 applies, and I don't want to run through this list EVERY
time I hit with a weapon. It is just 12 little if checks, but that can be a lot,
especially burried in the fight code, which you want to keep as tight as
possible.  Hmm, anyone think of a quicker way then this:

if(is_a_slaying_weapon)
   if(!number(0,5))
      whack_that_mole;

maybe have an ITEM_SLAYING flag and then have the checks?

seems like a plan.
--Angus