Re: [THREAD] Fairness in Circle WAS: Copyrights, ...

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 06/25/98

>I will say this much, It is fair! If it was not, there would be no reason
>to post it and provide it on any site.

Fair is a bad word.  Think of it more as they shouldn't be using public
code as their only source of new features.

>The weakness of the CircleMUD community, IMO is the lack of support for
>the newbie!

You're mistaking the newbie for someone much worse.  The clueless.

>Even if all newbies go out and buy a C book (for beginners), read ALL
>the docs that come with mud, read all the FAQ's, etc... They still will
>not understand it. Even after messing with the code for quite some time,
>I do have a lot better understanding of what is going on, but I still do
>not know how to do a lot of things. The books do not tell me how to do
>it, the code does not tell me how, the docs do not tell me how, and so
>far I have not gotten anyone to show me how either. I quit asking
>because so many out there feel they will write the code for me. Hell.. I
>never asked anyone to WRITE IT.. I asked for help on HOW to write it.
>Time and time again, you see statements like "I was afraid to ask
>because I am a newbie". They still don't ask.

I answer anything CircleMUD related that I have an answer for.  I just
received a message a few minutes ago asking 'What do you mean macro?'.
The first question comes from a newbie, the second from a person who should
read a good C book, then try coding something like a MUD.

>You probably think, thats what the newbie list is for. I have not seen a
>single message, question, post in a few weeks. I posted my question there,
>and started to get some help, but the person who started to help never
>replied to my last.

There are other places to post questions, but it's supposed to be only for
CircleMUD questions.  We do have FAQs for non-CircleMUD questions so the
answer will never be RTF*. (help@circlemud.org)

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://patches.van.ml.org/          | stupidity is not thus handicapped.