[THREAD] Fairness in Circle WAS: Copyrights, ...

From: James Turner (turnerjh@XTN.NET)
Date: 06/25/98

George <greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG> writes:

> >But... that doesn't change that I've used freely distributed code.  In
> >my mind, it becomes a question of ethics.  Is it fair to the Circle
> >community to take but not give back?
>
> Is it fair? No, but I'd say most people don't give back.  I am happy to say
> that people haven't been badgering me to finish any project though.  It's
> counterproductive because then you make the person not want to finish it.

Nah, it's definitely not fair.  But a lot do give back and we have a
very rich community.  I wonder what could be done to make the
community even better.  Perhaps more newbie support?  Nah, we don't
want to be crutches for non-coders, which things might end up as.
Anyone have any ideas?  It would be interesting to hear from the newer
people to the list perhaps.  What are the weaknesses of the Circle community?

> >Not really, but there are a lot of ways to give back.  One is here;
> >posting and helping people does enrich the community.  Another is through
> >giving out code.  Yet another would be providing web space containing
> >useful information for others in the community.  (Hmmm George has done all
> >of this, I guess he's the mayor of our community, or maybe vice-mayor with
> >Jeremy being mayor...).
>
> I avoid making comparisons in rank.  People can (and will) will believe
> what they want to, but I still consider Jeremy more important/final say.

Didn't mean to imply any kind of ranking, just saying in a round about
way that we all are very much indebted to you and to Jeremy :)

> There are still things (like autoconf) that he can do that I can't.

Me either, which I don't like.  Does anyone know of a good source for
learning to use autoconf?  I've read some, but not terribly much.  A
definitive place to start would be especially nice.

Chip

--
James Turner                turnerjh@xtn.net             UIN: 1102038
                            http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~turnerjh/