Re: [SILLY QUESTION] Uncrypting passwords

From: Andrew Ritchie (object@ALPHALINK.COM.AU)
Date: 08/26/98

Like you've probably already read, crypt() is a one way encryption method.
UNIX Password files use this function to crypt their passwords actually.

I'm not going to give you a detailed explanation of how it works, but here's
a simple one :)

Ok... consider this:

* You think of a number. Let's say 43.
  That is your password.
* The function then possibly divides this by 12, and stores
  the remainder as X. X in this case would equal 7.
* The crypt() function returns X (which is 7) as your crypted password.

This is not how crypt() actually performs, but it gives you a rough
idea of how one way encryption works. You see, there is no way on
earth you can reverse the process so that you start with 7 and end
up with your starting number (in this case 43).

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.