Re: Time based triggers

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 08/27/98

At 10:20 PM 8/26/98 +0200, you wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Tony Robbins [Kupek] wrote:
>
>> I was thinking on the path editor, and realized that it wouldn't be hard
>> to just make a "time" trigger type for DG Scripts, with the numeric
>> argument as a military type hour, 1-24.
>
>Consider a slightly more cron-like format. I use this for example (but it
>could be better if you make it look more like cron; check out man 5
>crontab on your server)
>
>>> help time-triggers
>TIME-TRIGGERS
>In the trigger's argument, specify up to 4 numbers. If the number is not
>specified, or if it is a *, it will trigger every time. Note that all
>these triggers use the MUD, not RL time.
>
>The first number is hour, ranging from 0 to 23.
>The second number is day of month, ranging from 1 to 35.
>The third number is day of week, ranging from 0 to 6.
>The fourth number is month, ranging from 0 to 16.
>
>EXAMPLES:
>
>6               Trigger when hour becomes 6, on any day/week/month
>1 1             Trigger on hour 1 on the first day of every month
>12 * 0          Trigger on 12:00 on the first day of the week
>* 1             Trigger EVERY hour on the first day of the month

In theory, I like the idea as a varient of the timer triggers (which are
basically count-down timers) objects now have. In practice though,
I wonder what the overhead would be of parsing every mob, object,
and room in the game every mud hour (75 seconds usually), in addition
to everything else already going on at that time.