Re: MSVC++, Project and win32

From: Jason Wilkins (fenix@io.com)
Date: 11/17/98

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Jourge Fuzz Bush wrote:

> One thing. This is offtopic but just a curious question.
> Shouldn't I be able to take a stand-alone exe file from win 95 and run
> it in linux. What the difference. They're both compiled asember. I think
> it should work as long as their is no system calls. Just something to
> think about.

Considering that just printing to the screen is a system call, what good
could this possibly do?  In theory yes, two programs compiled on different
OSes should run on different OSes if they don't do any system calls, the
problem is that Linix uses ELF format, and Windows/DOS uses PE format.

Many Unixs can share executables because they use the same format, but
they have to be careful about translating the system calls from one
system to another.

To your other questions.  VC++ always compiles 32-bit executables, even if
it has to run it a so called "DOS Window".  There is no reason to change
a project in order to get it to compile.  All I did to get circle to work
was to put all the source files into the project, copy the configuration
file for windows, and hit F7.  Viola, instant mud.

--
         The Phoenix - President of The Artistic Intuition Company
    Caelius * Zen-X * Mirror Reflex * Runica * X-Domain * Infinite Realms