Re: [Newbie][code]Going away from the mana system

From: Jeremy Music (wyld@users.midsouth.net)
Date: 02/01/99

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, anthony benjamin wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone had gone away from the mana system
> entirely and made sort of a memorization system. If I wanted to
> implement this how would I do it?

Seems easy enough.  Pattern the way spells are handled after skills
(which, obviously, have no mana cost) and then add in checks on learning
to see if they have already learned the max number for that level.  Some
considerations might be a way to "un-learn" a useless spell  (who ever
casts burning hands after they have fireball anyway  :)

> also...has anyone implemented a spell called hold person? That will
> hold/freeze a person from combat for say 3 combat ticks, and still allow
> the other person to cast/attack. How would I go about making a spell to
> do this? I looked at the immort freeze command, but that isn't quite
> what I want it to do.

You might want to take a look at snippets for web and silence (because it
sounds like you are aiming for some sort of combination of those two
spells).