Re: [CODE]

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 03/31/99

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Richard P. Bandura wrote:

> STOCK:
> Character dies, somehow. Can be PK, mobdeath, doesn't matter. Character's
> eq/inv gets transferred to the corpse, character gets extracted.
>
> I HAVE A DREAM:
> Character dies, somehow. Character's eq/inv STAYS ON CHARACTER when
> character gets extracted. Charcter no longer bitches to already overworked
> imp about loss of eq, all is happy and joyous in CircleMUDland.

It really depends upon game design and preference, but I don't think this
is a good thing or will make for happy and joyous players.  This increases
the ability to hoard.  Many times you're not killing player X for exp, but
for their equipment.  Let's say we have a PKer going around killing
Player A's friends.  The PKer wouldn't normally be able to do this if it
weren't for the fact that he stumbled upon Super Duper Weapon.  So Player
A goes through and manages to kill PKer, but just barely.  PKer repops
magically with all his EQ, runs up, and hits Player A once, killing him
and then resumes his killing spree.  Player A and friends get frustrated
and bother the overworked imp about PKer.

This is a bad idea, IMHO, for every type of game.  It simply devolves into
power MUDding without any control mechanism.  I don't know what type of
game you want to run, but I can almost guarantee this won't make it more
enjoyable.

> Anyone ever been through this? Wanna let me know where I'm making a
> tiny stupid error that's throwing off the entire routine? :P

[1]+  Segmentation fault      (core dumped) crystalball

Hmm, sorry, but it looks like you're going to have to post code.

-dak