Re: mudbot?

From: The Merciless lord of Everything (serces@mud.dk)
Date: 04/11/99

Jonathan Foo wrote:

> hi all.
>
> Does anyone here know of a suitable unix/linux bot that can be run on irc
> servers that give a dcc connection to a user which then connects them to the
> mud, ie so they can play mud through their fav irc client?
Hm.. I've toyed around with a lot of ideas how to exactly make this,
without having to put it directly into the CircleCode. On IRCnet's
#the_realm_of_chaos we had it so that when people entered the mud, one
of the bots would automagically say "<name> Has entered the Realm", or
when someone Levelled, it would spew out a Congratulation.

My script was very loosely based upon the Perl IRC Client SIRC (I think
it's called),Then using a neverending loop, it studied the contents of
the syslog file, given certain criterias it would then send a message to
the bot in the other end, so it seemed like it was one of the bots on
the channel speaking.

It would of course be entirely possible to code the thing into Circle
itself, even though IMHO it's not where people is going to play since
you get spammed with a ton of different messages, which usually will
result in you getting flooded off the Net (Depending on the setup, but
still.. :). Imho there is too many thing happening for it to be really
effective using IRC.

At our mud we decided to go against this, and then instead try and
create an Environment where Players/Imm's could discuss things without
having to resort to Email or using the boards. At some point we had a
couple of Brainstorms of what should be implemented, and so forth, as a
Discussion center it's okay, still it would be possible to use the mud
for this, but well.. :)

As for the idea with the bot, yes, I don't see any problems with that
(Provided that you know how to make it.. :), Possibly it would lag a lot
if you decide to use one of the public nets, and what should then happen
during netsplits? Ohyeah, sorry, it was DCC :)

You could of course set up an IRCD on your mudmachine, in which case I
don't see the point, then you might as well not use IRC.

*doh* Rambling again.. :)

Serces