Re: [OFF TOPIC] Home ?Network? for development

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 07/18/00

> > Here's the problem.  Computer number 2 sits next to this computer.  BOTH
> > computers have ethernet cards and there is a connecting ethernet wire
> > between them.  Both cards are 3com 10/100 versions I am pretty sure.
> > *Whew* stick with me...here's the point.  I want to access my mud via
> > computer #2.  How?
> >

> A> telnet localhost will telnet you to the host your on now (at leat
> that's how it is with linux), so telling a computer to telnet localhost
> loops right back to itself.
> B> try telnet (ip addy of first computer). That should work unless you've
> got only on ip for both machines.
> C> if you've got a dedicated ip (as with most schools), go to smewhere
> like ml.org and get an address from thm if it's too hard to remember the ip.
> D> make sure your networking stuff is set up right.

        Localhost is actually site dependant - it's just a name in a file
somewhere which points to an ip address.  Usually, that ip address is
127.0.0.1 - which is the 'loopback' ip; it's directed at the machine
you're on at the time - but it doesn't have to be.

        No, it won't work.  There are certain reasons you normally can't
just hang cable between two computers and have it work.  If you're running
coax (10-T) cable, you'll need to properly terminate both ends with a
?20?40? ohm resistor cap.. I forget which because if you ask for a
terminator, they give you the right one.  The alternative is 10-2 (rj-45)
cable, which looks like very thick phone cord.  You'll need a null cable.
This is important. To make a null cable, get two male adapters (the
plastic pieces that plug in to the female socket on the ether net card),
some rj-45 cable, and some crimpers.

        The normal pinout of a cable looks like this:

        left side                               right side
                1                               1
                2                               2
                3                               3
                        and so on..
                8                               8

        For a null cable, we'll do this;

                1                               3
                2                               6
                3                               1
                4                               4
                5                               5
                6                               2
                7                               7
                8                               8

        As you can see, the 1/3 pairs are switched, and so too are the
6/2.  1 + 2 are normally transfering, and 6+3 are normally recieving, if
that helps at all.

        There are also serial-type connectors, but i'm not going into
those.  They're assembled in the same way, however.

        Of course, I grabbed a hub because i've got more than 2 computers,
so I use standard cables.

        Immaterial if you're just testing your local network without
having to worry about setting up for actual remote access.

        The hardest and most important step.  A bit too complex to handle
easily either.  Get the book 'tcp/ip network administration' by
o'rilley however, and the answers you seek are in the first few chapters
as they explain how to setup a local network.
        If you are penny-poor, go to a borders or barnes and nobles with a
notebook.  Copy down the info you need, and put the book back on the
shelf. :)

ObCircle:
        Would time be better spent developing ways to access and
integrating external scripting languages or redesigning the mud layout so
as to lend itself better to a single custom, internal scripting language?

                                                PjD