Admin vs. Player

From: Treker (treker@positron.net)
Date: 08/31/00

You know, coding my first MUD ruined my entire playing experience.  Now I no
longer see things on a MUD as role playing, but I see how the computer works
behind it, how the entire thing is calculation-based, and how most muds that
I visit really aren't doing much more than adding a few worlds here and
there--which is just descriptive writing of scenery.  Has anyone else been
disillusioned like this?

Well, I'm going to write some randomness into my MUD, but I need
suggestions...how would I prevent my players from seeing such a
calculation-basis, or non-RPGlike environment of a MUD?  I mean, adding
features, and commands, and combat methods, etc will only make it more
complex.  Any ideas?  ("A giant squirrel appears in front of you and starts
nibbling at some acorns")?

Thanks