Re: ASCII vs. Binary vs. SQL vs ...

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 04/04/01

Chris Maniar wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Mike Breuer wrote:
>
> Lets add something to the discussion here... how about ASCII vs Binary vs
> SQL playerfiles.

Okay, seems like a good way to expand the discussion, after all, SQL is a
viable alternative and there are at least some MUDs which are using it
now.

As long as we're expanding to other alternatives, though, why not look
into other formats as well?  One that comes to mind is Berkley DB (take
your pick between 1, 2 or 3).  I've honestly never used Berkley DB before
for any of my programming, but I understand that it can offer some good
speed advantages over ASCII and would probably end up being more flexible
than binary (someone correct me on either of these points).  It might
turn out to be a viable compromise between the two.  Anyone with a lot
more knowledge about Berkley DB than me care to comment on it?

Any other DB formats or alternatives that anyone wants to bring up?
let's turn this into a good comprehensive discussion of _all_ the
alternatives.

Regards, Peter