Re: [AD?] New Java version of CircleMUD

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/23/02

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Shay wrote:

> I've taken the code for Circle, and converted alot of it into Java.

I'm not sure whether I'm shocked or horrified[1]...  If it were a week
later, I wouldn't take this seriously.

> Each player has there own interactive thread so theres no lag time
> because of more players, just because the server is too small/slow..

Multithreading in this way is *less* scalable than Circle's multiplexer,
not *more* as your comment indicates.  Threads are expensive, even if your
JVM is smart enough to use green threads (as opposed to native ["actual"]
threads).  Their primary use in networking servers is for computationally
expensive processing, which Muds don't need to do on a per-connection
basis.

You might consider looking into the NIO[2] class library, which was
introduced in Java 2 SDK 1.4 and supports multiplexing.

-dak

[1] I think Java's an ugly language.
[2] New I/O.  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/nio/index.html