Re: [OasisOLC] Addition For 2.3

From: Mythran (kip_potter@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/14/03

> This will only work if the player connects through a sufficiently smart
> terminal, it will totally screw up output in plain MUD clients, won't it?
> Hence, you should add checks to the code as well as let the player set it,
> so if they change computers, it should default to the basic editor if the
> enhanced editor does not work.

Yes and no.  yes, it may screw up plain MUD clients, no, I haven't tried it
so it may or may NOT possibly screw things up.  But, there will, of course,
be a flag that the player needs to set to use it or not use it.

> > HEDIT - Help Editor (an advanced help editor).
> > HOEDIT - House Editor (an advanced house editor).
>
> For these two, please define "advanced."

Well, hrm...hedit will allow help files to be created but allow more than
the help already allows (remember hedit?)....anywho, that is for the help.
Right now, there is no HOEDIT or anything of the sort (except what has
recently been posted on the list).  I was planning on seeing this editor and
most likely (MOST) will implement it (not create another).

> > WEDIT? - World Editor, Links all the other editors together in a main
menu
> > sorta way.
>
> I think this is a stinkingly horrible idea.  Why would I want another menu
> just to select redit for instance?  Ick.  Then I will be stuck in another
> layer of menus when I want to exit the editors.

Yeah, but better chosen words may have been a little more constructive here.
stinkingly???

> > Let me know what you think...all suggestions and criticism welcome to a
large
> > extent (no flames please)  Yikes, I just got burned and nobody has even
> > started flaming yet!
>
> I think you should give this 2.2 release of OasisOLC at good go of half a
> year or so, and several patch releases before you put ANY new features in,
> and I am sure that a lot of other people agree.  Otherwise you'll just
have
> SMAUG all over again.

I don't like SMAUG, therefore I would hate to see that happen.  Remember,
this was a list of IDEAS, not what IS going into the next release.  I
haven't even released this version that I made.  I am not home yet, nor do I
think I will be home until tomorrow (training ppl on my app at work).

> I don't care about the "features" at all, they are entirely secondary.
Umm, let's see, let's take all the "features" out of Oasis....what do we
have??  Umm, nothing...no editor at all..that is all Oasis is anyways, it is
a feature..  8-P

> I care about stability.  And as it stands now, I have less faith in the
> stability of Oasis than I used to, especially since you seem to spend more
> time thinking up features than you do actually fixing the bugs already
> present in the system, not to mention the bugs created by said features.

Well, remember I have posted that people need to send me bug reports on this
thing?  So far, only 2 or 3 people have sent any bugs.  So, if you could so
happily send me the bugs you know of, they WILL be taken care of prior to
this release when I get home asap.

> Yeah, I know, I am as subtle as a super nova.  Hopefully you will read
> between the lines and actually discern my concern, and my attempts at
> constructive criticism.

Yeah, right !  Just kidding, anywho, yes, most of the above you gave me was
constructive, of course...I won't come hunt you down or anything (where ya
live again?)  Anywho, no problem...just a softer tone would be nicer...

Yes, I can debug, and if there is something that I can't debug, I will post
it on the group to get help solving the problem.  In any case, the problems
can and will get solved.  I just need to know about them in order to fix
them.

The features that are already added (game configurator) will stay in this
release.  You have the option of using it or not using it.  It is up to you.
The game can still be configured using config.c.

Mythran