Re: Splitting up circle list

From: ShadowLord (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 11/17/95

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995 ribak@acs.bu.edu wrote:

> I have a few suggestions short of splitting up the list.
> I also have a limited mail spool, and I do enjoy reading the mail
> from this group.  A lot of it is helpful.

Agreed, some of the information on here may be helpful (I wouldn't go so
far as saying "a lot", I've not tallied what I found interesting and
helpful).

> What isnt helpful is the 1 line "Me Too" replies to posts.
> What also isnt helpful is a 10 line .sig file with a 1 line
> "Me Too".

(1) Newbies shouldn't ask for private e-mail responses, this would prevent
    the stupid, "e-mail me it, too." or the need for, "just post it to the
    list." requests.
(2) Signatures are up to those whom make them, obviously, they should have
    a bit of common courtesy and not have a billion lined sig.

Furthermore, what is not helpful, too, is the advanced telling the
newbies to shut-up and learn how to code in C and the newbies telling the
advances to screw themselves.  Hm, much like this thread is developing to.

> I feel that if someone is new to the list, they have a right to
> ask questions that have already been discusses on this list. When
> someone replies with a RTFM reply, that is a waste of space. If you
> are going to take the time to tell them to RFTM, why not help them
> out.  Furthermore, the archives for this group are not very organized,
> and unless you feel like going through 10000 posts to find what you
> are looking for, it is pretty much useless.  How bout someone with
> some time volunteers to take the archives and sort them, and perhaps
> place them on the web in html format in a coherent format.

Er, you heard of 'grep', right?

> Finally, there are those on this list (very few) who are just here
> to flame or to bait flames.  I know of one in particular who just
> posts flamebait, and has done it in the past on rgmd.  If you want
> to flame, dont cc: it to this list. Send it just to the person's
> mailbox.  If you want to bait flames, take it to rgmd.

Hm, I'd rather they just do it via email and through private means.  If
they want to boycot a MUD I don't play on and hundereds of others don't,
why the hell should they post it to rgmd?  I couldn't give a good God
damn if LordFlynn/Cyric/etc. feels Orin treated him unfairly.  Flaming
and flamebaits should be done precisely to those that they're intended to
scald, not at everyone whom couldn't give a rat's ass.

But, I digress, a good point.

> This post isnt intended as a flame, but rather as constructive criticism.
> We are all guilty of making some of these mistakes ourselves, but if
> we can think before we mail in the future, perhaps we can keep
> everyone happy, and make this (usually) informative list better than it
> already is.

I think the major problem with many of the requests is that newbies just
ask for 'code', not a description of what's going wrong, they never try
to do it themselves, etc., etc.  This just produces God awful MUDs that
are dependant upon a bunch of people who are too nice to say, 'Fuck off,
try to do something on your own for once!' and too busy to keep giving
this person code.

Newbies should make two seperate CircleMUD directories, one for
expirementing and one for their MUD (ie., cp -r the original
/circle30bpl8/src directory to /circle30bpl8/lab_src - and make any
changes you're not sure about in the lab_src directory, check if it
compiles, and if so, port the code to your actual src directory and add
it to the real MUD.  (You should change the Makefile in the lab_src
directory to go to ../bin/circle.lab) Thus, you can play with the source
code, and if something goes wrong -- who cares? :)

> My 2 cents worth (WHY the heck does EVERYone say this?)
> Aleksandr

My 2.2525252525- cents worth (Creative, eh?)

-=
Daniel Koepke <dkoepke@california.com>