Re: [Circle] Re: Just an observation

From: Niese-Petersen (Tenp@cris.com)
Date: 07/25/96

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Chris Grantham wrote:

> At 04:47 PM 7/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
> >>        You know, even though i submit a few things here and there, I agree
> >>with you 100%. It's pretty sad when someone ftps, untarrs, and compiles and
> >>they call themselves an IMP. IMPs must KNOW_C_ and there is nothing more
> >>to it. If you aren't familiar with it, don't try it.
> Well.. not quite.. but close. IMPS MUST be able to pick up on C FAST (C-IQ?)
> The best way to do this is to know another programming language like C (I
> did MOOs for 2 years before I even figured out that hey, this IS basiclly C,
> so lets do REAL C!) An IMP MUST Code! You don't have to do it well, or
> often, but you've gotta be able to compare working code and non working code
> and figure out compiler errors and warnings. For every non full time coding
> imp you've got to have 2 full timers just to compenstae IMHO..
>
> >IMPS do NOT have to know C.
> BS!
>
> >Someone on your MUD needs to know C IF you want to have an original MUD.
> YES! THE IMPS!

Think you folks forget something about MUDs .. Being an IMP do not really
mean that you have to be a coder and have to know C, just becoz the word
is implementer...  IMPs are the caretakers of the MUD.. Meaning they have
to :

1) deliver new stuff [Ofocz mostly needed a coder here, but an IMP can also
   concentrate on building areas]
2) keep control on the MUD [Mostly common sense needed here.. No code skill
   is needed to hold the players hand (And they need it sometimes :) )]
3) Could be other things here, but I don't take care of that.. I'm a code
   IMP, and got 2 other IMPs to take care of the rest [players, ideas, areas
   and many other things] ...

If you think the non-coders don't need an IMP status.. Well.. Thats your
opinion, not mine :)

---
Erik Niese-Petersen
Aka Quint The typo God
Realms of Darkness IMP [matrix.xiii.com 6666. Playertesting]