Re: [NEW IDEA?] Binary Pfile Editing system

From: Ghost Shaidan (ghost@EOLA.AO.NET)
Date: 07/30/97

> > Woah!
> >
> > Everything works in the ascii pfile now, but when a new character is
> > created, saves, and quits this is what happens:
> >
> >   PID USER     PRI  NI SIZE  RES SHRD STAT %CPU %MEM  TIME COMMAND
> > 23616 mud       19   0 1616 1352  464 R    96.3  4.3  0:31 bin/circle 6666
>
> You might consider running it at a lower PID.  This would take up a bit
> more memory, but would use a bunch less of the cpu.  96.3% is way too much
> for a "STAT R" process.

The only time I have seen this (from the top command i beleive the output
to be) is when the mud is looping, i.e. endlessly and on and on.  The only
way to fix it is to kill the pid (kill -SIGSEV pid#) IIRC this should give
you a core dump to play with in gdb.  (if that doesnt work try kill -l it
should give you your options)

good luck