Re: [IDEA] [CHANGING ZONES]

From: Mark Dickey (mark@BESTWEB.NET)
Date: 02/17/98

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Mike Carpenter wrote:

> Maybe this has been done before, or talked about here, if so just send any
> response to me at abram@deltanet.com.  However, if not I would be
> interested in hearing ideas over the list on how this could be
> accomplished.  Basically my idea is based off the movie KRULL.  There would
> be a zone that would disappear from one location and
> reappear in another.  In mudding terms A zone would be connected to the
> world in one location then at a certain time disconnect and reconnect to
> another room number somewhere else in the world.

This is very close to something that I plan on doing.  What I would like
to do is have zones change depending on certain variables. An example is:

The canyon is completely bare.

But, if the time is winter and there is a storm, it would change to:

The canyon is filled with snow.

This is a very lame example, but it is what I want to do in a very simple
place.

Every zone would have two or maybe even more copies.  The first part would
to have it change depending on the time.  If it is day in the zone, the
shops are open and people are walking all over.  Once it turns to night,
the shops are closed and locked and nobody is out but the guards.

I would then bbuild on that to include if a shop keeper was killed, the
room would have a different description.

I'm not sure if anyone has already done this, or has an idea, other than
the one presented, on how to do it.

One thing that I had asked about previously was using a database with the
mud.  This might make it very easy to do this type of thing, all it need
to do is send an update to the database and it will happen.

Mark Dickey