[Code] Idents

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer@BAYOU.COM)
Date: 07/13/97

Ok, i installed the ident patch, and after a few trial runs,
I started getting bugged out usernames, most of em ended up having
crap like   n e w s ]
or
[qsccts south.
as the username.  Anyway, i did a bit of log() this,
and log() that, b/c frankly, gdb lags too long on getting Idents.

anyway, i logged the string sent from the person's Ident server,
and i got something similar to this
the
45626 , 9001 : USERID : OTHER : [m/LHmzTTLcFOcnJvlBAe0jjRxQ4JzfAQ]

anyway, when i log in from localhost something like

15251 , 9001 : USERID : UNIX : nexus

pops up as the string. now i'm no UNIX guru, but I was wondering,

would that username after the  OTHER happen to be ENCRYPTED?

if this is so, how am i supposed to find out the username?
i've also noticed, that the username code is always the same length,
and has []  (brackets) around it.

If anyone can help me solve this problem, (i currently changed the code
to not even worry about OTHER type strings for now)
i would appreciate any input or ideas.  Mainly, I wouldn't mind talking
to the guy who came up with the Ident patch :-)

thnx, and Code on

Akuma the Raging Coder
  | "The poets talk about love, but what I talk about is DOOM, |
  |      because in the end, DOOM is all that counts." -       |
  |   Alex Machine/George Stark/Stephen King, The Dark Half    |
  |        "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"            |
  |   "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."    |