books . .

From: Trey T. Morita (tmorita@texas.net)
Date: 11/17/95

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Graham Gilmore wrote:
> 	Speaking of books, I had (and lost , unfortunately, will be
> picking up another copy shortly :) one EXCELLENT book on C, called (if I
> remember correctly) the Waite Group's Programming C with Turbo C++ , by
> Robert Lafore.  There are two versions, one thicker than the other (the
> thicker one comes with a disk, too).  Of course, while it is in
> particular useful for Borland's Turbo C++, it is a great C reference in
> general if you're still learning C.  This isn't a particularly advanced
> book;
I have this book, the non-disk version, and mine is a couple years old,
too. It's "Object Oriented Programming in Turbo C++", but you got the
author & publisher right. BUT, never would I call this book "a great C
reference in general" . . I've found the man pages more useful than this
book on lots of topics, like string-handling (strcpy,strcat,strchr,strstr),
file-handling . . .

> if you're looking for something advanced, I've had one recommended
> to me called Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, by W. Richard
> Stevens, although I can't say anything about it personally.
Me neither, except to say I think this book is mentioned by Jeremy
himself a couple of times in the commenting for comm.c.

> > > CircleMUDs, not how to program in C.  NOTHING being done in CircleMUD,
> > > other than the socket routines, take any experience to figure out.
>
> 	Heehee, now if someone could explain these to me, I'd be set.. :)

Hehe, I have a nice O'reilly & Associates book called "Using C on the
Unix System", it's pretty slim and a bit over-priced for its size, but
it's pretty nice, has examples of a rudimentary C server and C client.
(the server sets up on a port on your machine, you run the client, server
sends 3 text strings, client sends 3 text strings . . but it's something
to start with) Those O'reilly & Associates books are pretty nice, I also
have one called "Unix in a Nutshell" (yeah, as if) that has good sections
on bash, csh, ksh, vi, ex, emacs, sed, awk, nroff/troff, mm macro/me
macros (what the hell are those?), SCCS and RCS. Nothing in depth, but
all the commands are in there, with format and syntax, and it's been
pretty useful to me.

Trey (who doesn't even work for O'reilly & Associates, I swear!)