non-recursive tracking algorithm (that works)

From: Sean Butler (sbutler@DEVEAST.COM)
Date: 10/13/97

CODE:
In Circle3 there is a graph.c file which contains the tracking algorithm for the skill track.  Although this algorithm may have at one time worked okay, after extensive changes to rooms, wilderness, etc., it doen't work now.  I never liked it anyway.  It is poorly commented and clumsily designed.

Does anyone have a decent idea as to how to do this the right way.  For example, one that doesn't mark the rooms as it goes.  One that doesn't use an expensive recursion. One that can be called a thousand times per minute without inducing server lag.

All I am looking for is a desgn, a theory, I don't need the actual code.

Thanks to any that reply.

--Sean (Xin)