Re: Mirror image (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) (bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu)
Date: 11/02/95

> From: Erik <madison@nevada.edu>
>   I've been mulling this one over also, in anticipation of future free
> time. The route I was thinking of though, was to load X amount of wimpy
> mobs, say 1hp or so, and give them players name, and basic attributes/stats.
> Add them as followers to casting player, and they will then be subject to
> enemy attacks, just as standard pets are. Result _should_ be that in
> fight.c, during all the (victim = loop_thru_players) checks, that one of
> them would be chosen. Any "hit" would kill them, just as the original
> definition of the spell. The only real drawback I see ahead of time, is
> that other players would be able to tell the difference. But, provided
> the above works as I hope it to, a special_proc should be able to
> redirect any "look at 2.joeblow", etc. commands to the real player, thus
> increasing the illusions deception.

Or, somewhere inside struct char_data *ch, add unsigned byte image_number.
Make the spell a MAG_MANUAL | MAG_AFFECTS.
In fight.c, when checking for a hit, do:
	if (dice(1, image_number) != 1) {
		act("blahblahblah' ... TO_CHAR);
		act("Blablahbalbh"... TO_ROOM);
		image_number = MAX(1, image_number - 1);
	}
heck, you don't even need an AFFECT flag... just check if image_number > 1,
and if it is... you're imaged... this sure beats the way I imp'ed it...
in which mirror-image is just the mage's version of a parry.

-Billy H. Chan	~{3B:FH;~}		    <bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu>
 For more, check out http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan
 NovaCmdr. 'Suicide Strom' of Clan Wolf | FiestyFly FireMoth Variant
 "If you're going under 100kph, you might as well stand still"