[IDEA] realtime landscape

From: Michael J. Fara (mulder@CLOUD9.NET)
Date: 08/20/98

Well, maybe this sounds stupid, but I have seen several non-circle MUDs
where they have a huge world, most of it forest and grassland and things
like that. The zones are generic, usually just a bunch of interconnected
rooms with the same bland room description, but it really makes the game
feel more realistic.

I feel that this adds a feeling of realism into the game because of the
distance the player has to travel to get to different places and the ability
to go in almost any direction all the time. There are alot of MUDs where you
can only travel in some directions, and the locations of the zones and
arrangement of the world often contradict each other.

Something good to write would perhaps be an implementor command that allows
the MUD admins to create the "wild" landscapes and interconnect them
easilly. (this is the best I can think of)

Of course an alternative to this would be manually building these
interconnected rooms, a very tedious task that would take months and could
be accomplished more easilly with some code, and then a bit of online
editing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever thought of this, or is in fact running
a "geographically correct" MUD and knows what I mean?