Re: [Off-Topic] Number of Coders for a MUD

From: Barbara Desmond (barbaradesmond@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 09/16/98

Not that anybody cares, and yes this is quite off topic, but I'd figure
somebody might read it.

Is it me? Or has the amount of stock circlemuds just reached an alarming
new rate? I have seen everything, from plain old circleMUD 3.0 BPL 14s.
They are a load of stock, yet the owners feel that their mud is the
best. To top it off, I've seen soooo many that violate the CircleMUD and
DikuMUD license.

To add in personal experiences, a friend of mine opened up a circlemud.
He patched in..oh..maybe 4 or 5 snippets, then actually called his mud
'open to the public'. This is downright pathetic.

I don't mean to complain, but I think that the amount of people that are
opening these stock MUDs is too high. Something _has_ to be done about
it. What a waste of bandwidth.

This is not meant to be a flame, and don't get me wrong. There are some
really good circlemuds out there. I just think that all these stock muds
are terrible. Mr. Elson, Mr. Greer, and all the people who made
CircleMUD a sucess, deserve better, then having all these people running
around with stock code, saying that they made the mud themselves.

Maybe Jeremy should put in a few bugs that you actually have to fix to
compile?

Comments?

OBCIRCLE:
I just finished my 'bathroom' code. Now in addition to messages about
hunger and thirst, you have messages about taking a piss and poop. Only
rooms with a bathroom flag are you allowed to take a piss/poop in. And
it actually creates the items on the ground!
Sick eh?

Barbara Desmond